And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. – Romans 8:28
I admit it. I really enjoy making to-do lists just so I can have the satisfaction of checking them off throughout my day. I feel very accomplished when my whole list is checked off. The problem I’ve realized though is that things don’t just stay the way I left them, will inevitably become unfinished work for another day, and sometimes the list gets too long to accomplish! Praise God that our maker doesn’t have that problem. When God has a task to do, He gets it done and it is finished.
- Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. -John 19:30
Jesus did not say, ”I am finished” but cried out “It is finished” on the cross expressing that His work was finished in the past, is still finished in the present, and it will continue finished in the future. He was basically saying, “I successfully completed the work I came to do,” which partially is you. Here are some encouragements about the finished work of God in your life.1. Even When You Don’t See It, God Is Working
Sometimes our perspective is wrong, our feelings fail us, or we grow weary. The truth is that we never walk alone and God has a plan for our lives.
- For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. – Jeremiah 29:11
2. God Finishes What He Has StartedOur perseverance is a sign of God within us and of his character. God is preserving us in this world and when we think He has abandoned us, help is on the way.
- And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. – Philippians 1:6
3. You Have All That You NeedWe have all the we need already in Jesus Christ. Our worth, our competence, our salvation, our blessings, all come from Jesus. When we have Jesus, we have more than enough.
- His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to His own glory and excellence – 2 Peter 1:3
- God has given you His Holy Spirit within your heart (2 Corinthians 1:22) as a guarantee of your inheritance (Ephesians 1:13–14), in that you were sealed for the day of redemption (Ephesians 4:30).
When we look at the world it seems still unfinished and broken but not to God. He lives outside of the restrictions of time in which all elections are complete, all viruses are eradicated, all races are living together in care and unity.
Let us live in the final work of the Lord, to be faithful in changing our part but trusting God that He works all things together for good.
– Pastor Josh Ryan