What We Believe
We believe in the Biblical and historically affirmed doctrines of Christianity.
We believe the Bible is God’s inspired, perfect message for mankind. It is our authority in all matters.
We believe that God exists eternally in three persons – the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
We believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died for our sins, rose bodily from the dead, and will return to earth to rule His kingdom.
We believe that because all people are sinners, they are separated from God. Salvation is the gift of God to all who personally put their faith in Jesus as their sin-bearer.
We believe the Holy Spirit is our teacher and guide, and He gives gifts to the church through each believer. We believe that all gifts are for today, but we do not exalt any one gift as conferring special holiness upon the recipient. We seek to walk in love – the most excellent way.
We believe the church needs “two wings to fly” – celebration (the Sunday morning worship service), and community (small groups that meet weekly).
As expressions of our faith, we practice the water baptism of believers, the Lord’s Supper as a remembrance of His death for us, the dedication of infants/children, and anointing and praying for the healing of believers.
We are a community called out…
Christianity is not a set of rules but a relationship with Jesus Christ, the one who has called us to Himself. Our Caller is a God who has overcome the separation between Himself and us at the cost of His life. Our focus as a church is to respond to His calling on our lives. Having been connected to Him through faith, we now serve our Risen Savior with gladness.
The three great aspects of our calling…
- Reaching Up: Loving God Passionately–As believers, worship is our highest calling. It is expressed through public expressions of praise and private acts of devotion and service.God seeks worshippers. John 4:23
- Reaching In: Loving One Another Authentically–The church is a special community of those Christ has called to Himself. It is a place of devoted love and dedicated service, a place to encourage one another toward spiritual maturity.Speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up…into Christ. Ephesians 4:15
- Reaching Out: Loving Our World Sacrificially–We have been called to demonstrate the love and grace of Jesus through our lives and words-both here in our community and around the world.He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. II Thessalonians 2:14
Our church community seeks to nurture spiritual life through both Celebration and Small Groups:
- Celebration is the church in grand assembly, praising and worshipping God and receiving instruction from His Word.
- Small Groups is the church assembled in small groups for ministry to Him, to one another, and to our world.
The community at Island Christian Church is pursuing the kind of church life set forth in Scripture. The foundations of this church are Spirit-led worship, relevant teaching, authentic relationships, unceasing prayer and compassionate provision for the needy. We hope you will join us as we strive to demonstrate a compelling faith that will touch the lives of individuals within our larger communities.