Denomination: Non-Denominational (Baptist Roots)
Church Size: 550-650
Job Type: Full-Time
Island Christian Church (islandchristian.com) of East Northport, Long Island, New York is seeking a Senior Pastor
About the Senior Pastor–
The Senior Pastor will provide spiritual leadership by preaching the gospel and communicating spiritual
truth with passion and integrity. He will also communicate the primary vision of the church and oversee
its implementation by leading the staff, Church Board and congregation with spiritual insight and
Meet Island Christian Church–
Island Christian Church (ICC) is known for Scriptural teaching, Spirit-led worship and developing those
within the congregation for the ministries to which God is calling them. The current staff comprises
seven pastors and 32 other full and part-time employees. It is an ethnically-diverse congregation,
reflecting the demographics of the Long Island region. East Northport is a suburb of New York City
reflecting the professional and cultural opportunities of a major urban center, and, at the same time
proximate to the North Shore villages of Long Island. More information about the church is available on
Senior Pastor Profile–
Character – The Senior Pastor of Island Christian Church will…
- Demonstrate a clear testimony of faith and a passionate devotion to Christ and His church.
- Exemplify the biblical leadership qualities of an elder/overseer found in I Timothy 3:1-7, Titus
1:5-9, and I Peter 5:1-4.
- Maintain a strong devotional life of worship, prayer, and personal study of God’s Word resulting
in a deepening spirituality and relationship with Christ.
- Live out and teach a lifestyle of adherence to biblical standards of morality, ethics, and the fruit
of the Spirit.
- Accomplish his responsibilities as a shepherd of God’s flock with a spirit of humility, compassion,
wisdom, honesty, integrity, and unity as a servant-leader.
Qualifications – The Senior Pastor of Island Christian Church will…
- Fulfill the biblical qualifications of I Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9 and I Peter 5:1-4.
- Be able to minister in accordance with the ICC By-Laws
- Demonstrate adequate ministerial training and sound understanding of biblical doctrine and
- Advanced degree (M.Div. preferred), with at least 10 years of increasingly significant pastoral
and preaching experience.
- Possess the ability to preach clear, engaging, God-honoring, Gospel-centered biblical expositions
with relevant application to all age groups.
- Have a proven track record of committed, compassionate, and effective pastoral oversight.
- Be competent in administrative, managerial, and technological skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills, being able to relate to all age groups, keep confidences, and
partner with staff team and church board.
Responsibilities – The Senior Pastor of Island Christian Church will…
- Oversee and coordinate the development and implementation of the vision, mission, core values and strategic plan for the church. (Visionary Leader)
- Oversee and lead the staff team. (Team Leader)
- Oversee and lead the preaching and teaching ministries of the church in a culturally relevant and biblically accurate way. (Preacher/Teacher)
- Guide and administer the core ministries of the church – worship, teaching, evangelism, community service, fellowship, Pastoral care, and administration (Organizer)
- Lead and energize the outreach ministries of the church including local and foreign evangelism and missions. (Evangelist)
- Train and develop lay leaders for effective ministry. (Equipper)
- Oversee the pastoral ministries of the church. (Pastoral Care)
- Create significant but appropriate connections with the local community including representing the church at important public community events and functions (Community Connector)
- Lead in the development of large-scale church projects, i.e., building projects, planting daughter congregations and churches, establishing major programs and ministries (e.g., School of Ministry, outreach programs, new congregations, counseling service). (Project Leader – Planter)
How to apply
Please email the following to email@example.com
● Resume with references
● Testimony of conversion and, if married, wife’s testimony as well
● Date and place of your baptism
● Brief account of why you feel led to explore this opportunity
● Links to 3 recorded examples of your preaching (CD’s may be mailed to the church address)
● The doctrinal statement of the church is included. Please indicate one of the following: Full
Agreement/Substantial Agreement (list exceptions)/Not in Close Agreement (Explain)
THE ARTICLE OF FAITH
1. The Holy Scriptures
We believe that the Bible, including both the Old and New Testaments, is the divinely revealed Word of God to man. The original writings were verbally inspired by the Holy Spirit, and are inerrant in the original autographs. We believe that these writings have been, and will ever be, divinely protected and cared for in their transmission through the ages, so that we now have, and will ever have, God’s every revealed requirement for faith and conduct. We believe that the canon of Scripture has been completed and closed with the Book of the Revelation. We affirm these Scriptures as our authoritative source of doctrine and practice for Island Christian Church. (II Timothy 3:16-17;I Corinthians 2:9-14; II Peter 1:20-21; Romans 15:4; Psalm 119:105; Psalm 119:128; Revelation 22:18-19)
2. The Godhead
We believe in One Triune God, eternally existing in three co-equal persons – the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 3:16-17; Matthew 28:19; II Corinthians 13:14)
3. The Person and Work of God, the Father
We believe in the eternal and infinite existence of a Divine Sovereign Creator, infinite in power, in love, in mercy, in knowledge, in righteousness, and in judgment, being everywhere present. We believe that all things exist through Him and for Him. (Job 33:4; Isaiah 40:28; Romans 11:33-36; I John 3:20; Jeremiah 23:23-24; Genesis 1:1;
Psalm 104:24; Isaiah 26:4; Ephesians 4:6)
4. The Person and Work of God, the Son
We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, was born of the Virgin Mary, lived a sinless life, suffered and died on the Cross, the perfect substitutionary sacrifice for our sins. He arose again from the dead in a literal, physical and visible resurrection. He ascended into heaven and is now seated at the right hand of God the Father as our Intercessor. (Romans 9:5; John 1:1,2,14; Luke 1:35; Hebrews 4:15; Romans 3:24-25;
I Peter 2:24; Ephesians 1:7; I Peter 1:3-5; Luke 24:36-39; Acts 1:9-11; Hebrews 5:9; Hebrews 9:24; Hebrews 7:25; Romans 8:34; I John 2:1,2; Revelation 1:5)
5. The Person and Work of God, the Holy Spirit
We believe that the Holy Spirit is the person of the Godhead who convicts of sin, righteousness and judgment. He is the Divine Agent in regenerating, conforming, empowering and sealing believers until the Day of Redemption. He is the Author and Interpreter of the Holy Scriptures. He baptizes every believer into the Body of Christ, indwells all believers from the moment of new birth, and works out, in the believer, the process of sanctification. (John 16:8-11, 13; II Corinthians 3:6; I Corinthians 12:12-14; Romans 8:9; Ephesians 1:13,14; Ephesians 4:30; Ephesians 5:18; Philippians 1:6)
6. The Sinfulness of Man
We believe that man was created in the image and the likeness of God, but that in Adam’s sin, the entire human race fell, inherited a sinful nature, and became alienated from God; and that man is totally depraved, that of himself he is utterly unable to remedy his lost condition. (Genesis 1:26, 27; Romans 3:10; Romans 3:22, 23;
Romans 5:12-19; Ephesians 2: 1-3; Galatians 3:22)
- We believe that salvation is the gift of God,brought to man by His Grace, and
received by believers through personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, whose blood was shed on Calvary for the forgiveness of our sins. (Ephesians 2:8-10; John 1:12; John 3:16; Ephesians 1:7; I Peter 1:18-19; Acts 16:31; Romans 6:23; Galatians 2:16; I John 5:11-13)
- We believe that all of the redeemed are kept by God’s power through faith and are thus secure in Christ forever. (John 6:37-40; John 10:27-30; Romans 8:1; Romans 8:38, 39;I Corinthians 1:4-9; I Peter 1:5; Ephesians 1:13; Ephesians 4:30; Hebrews 7:25; 10:14)
- We believe that salvation is the gift of God,brought to man by His Grace, and
8. The Church
We believe that the Church, which is the Body and Bride of Christ, is a spiritual organism made up of all spiritually born-again persons. (I Corinthians 12:12-14; II Corinthians 11:2; Ephesians 1:22,23; Ephesians 5:25-27; Romans 12:4,5; Colossians 1:24)
9. The Angels
We believe in angels as a distinct creation of God. Some rebelled under Satan’s leadership, fell from their high estate and became demons, eternally fixed in their opposition to God and to His purposes. The others remain as God’s special emissaries of blessing and judgment. The future doom of the fallen angels, including Satan, is everlasting punishment in the Lake of Fire. (Daniel 10:10-14; Matthew 25:41;
Luke 13:16; Ephesians 6:12; Hebrews 1:14; Matthew 4:11; Jude 6; II Peter 2:4)
10. The Second Advent of Christ
We believe in the personal, premillennial, second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ to earth. (I Thessalonians 4:13-18; Zechariah 14:4-11; Revelation 19:11-16; Revelation 20:1-6; I Thessalonians 1:10; Daniel 7:13,14; Matthew 25:31; John 14:2,3; Acts 1:11;
II Thessalonians 1:7; Revelation 1:7)
11. The Eternal State
We believe in the bodily resurrection of all men; the saved to eternal fellowship with the Lord, and the unsaved to judgment and everlasting punishment in Hell. (John 5:28-29; Revelation 20:5,6; Luke 16:19-26; II Thessalonians 1:7-9; Revelation 20:11-15; Job 19:25-27; Daniel 12:1; I Corinthians 15:52)
12. Final Authority for Matters of Belief and Conduct
This Article of Faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For purposes of Island Christian Church’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy and discipline, the pastors of Island Christian Church shall be the final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.